We are an ad-hoc group of Merzbach descendents
The following message is going to all Merzbach clansman we can find.
As you may know, we have been discussing the possibility of having a reunion of descendants of the Merzbach family members to honor the 175th anniversary of the founding of the S. Merzbach Bank in Offenbach in 2007. We have been doing a considerable amount of research, and have located numerous living Merzbach descendants.
David Lewin has put together a website and Bob Jesselson is about to make a trip to Offenbach in a few weeks. He will talk with some city officials there and try to make some preliminary arrangements. The website address is: http://merzbach.net/ There is also a secure area for family members to which you can get access only after requesting a password from David.
This contains private, privileged information, family trees, personal addresses and the like, which we want to prevent from getting into the public domain outside the Merzbach family adherents.
We think that it would be good to try and decide on some dates for this reunion prior to Bob's trip. We would like to propose May 27-28, 2007 for this Merzbach reunion. Activities might include:
1) visiting the cemetery where Merzbachs are buried.
2) having an official opening of S.Merzbach Platz
3) walking tour of Offenbach
4) meeting with archivist, and city officials
5) going to the old Synagogue (a very impressive building which still stands. It has been turned into a theater. The Merzbach family was instrumental in building it and were board members). There is a small Jewish community in Offenbach, and a new synagogue was built across the street.
6) a dinner, with slide presentations
Please let us know if you have any suggestions, and if you think you might be interested in coming. Please pass this on to other family members, and let us have email addresses and names so we can keep accurate records.
Also - please let me have updates on the genealogical data - dates, places, photographs, biography - anything and everything! You will see that in your family group we really know very little!
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you.
David Lewin and Bob Jesselson